… and read all over?
If you said, “the newspaper,” give yourself 2 points. If you said, the Cañada fashion department contest guidelines, you get 10!
Black and white is the theme of this year’s spring contest. And why not? According to Vogue’s Steff Yotka, “… in 2020, we will all be wearing black-and-white.”
Vogue writer Janelle Okwodu dives deep into Janelle Monáe’s trademark wardrobe. “Sticking to the color scheme of black and white … Monáe and her stylist, Maeve Reilly, create a striking and completely distinctive look. Other singers may play with poppy shades and kaleidoscopic prints, but Monáe keeps things simple, graphic, and delightfully offbeat in a deliberately limited palette.”
The contest requirements are as follows:
- Only black and white fabrics.
- Packets must be picked up no later than Thurs., Feb. 20.
- An outfit that covers and fits one of the department dress forms.
- Garments must be easy to put on and remove from the dress form.
- All of the yardage from the mystery package must be used.
- You may incorporate additional items such as coordinating fabrics, glue, paint, thread, closures or other materials (no paper items) as needed for your design.
- Before and after pictures of the materials used (both mystery package contents and any additional materials used) must accompany each entry.
- Participants must email 1-2 pictures showing progress to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 20, 2020.
- Participants must be enrolled in at least one fashion class in the Cañada College Fashion Design and Merchandising Department during the 2019-20 academic year.
- One entry per person.
Due Date: Thurs., April 9, 2020, 3:00 p.m.
Garments must be complete with pictures and write-up.
Criteria for Judging:
- Quality of Construction, and
- How the garment meets the requirements listed above.
But don’t worry. Harper’s Bazaar’s Chrissy Rutherford reassures: “Whether it’s a white dress with black accessories, or a white blouse paired with this season’s must-have noir trouser or graphic stripes, it’s hard to mess up this timeless color combination.”
Winners will be announced at a Tea on Friday, May 1, 2020 at 3:00 p.m. Save the date!