We sat down with current student, Susan Szegda to discuss her current position and experiences at Cañada.

Cañada Fashion Department (CFD): What degree or certificate are you working towards?
Susan Szegda (SS): Theater Costuming, Custom Dressmaking/Small Business and Technical: Apparel Industry Oriented

CFD: What is your ultimate fashion-related goal?
SS: I want to design clothing and costumes. I’m not interested in running a business. I love theater costuming because it is so interesting. The projects are always changing.

CFD: What was your background before taking classes at Cañada?
SS: I have a degree in art from UC Berkeley in visual art and museum studies/restoration/anthropology. Ever since I was nine, though, I’ve been interested in fashion as well.

CFD: Your current job you found through a listing in our department. Can you tell us about it?
SS: I work with Palo Alto Children’s theater under Jenny Gonzales another Cañada graduate. I’ve been there for about two and a half years, though the work is seasonal with the productions. I’ve been able to work on shows like the Nutcracker, James and the Giant Peach, and Alice and Wonderland.

CFD: Can you tell us more about what you do there?
SS: My job title is “stitcher.” I primarily sew the costumes, but also do some cutting and pattern work. I also get to offer ideas and opinions on some of the projects. It is a lot of fun and I really enjoy it. The attached images show some of my work.

Thank you so much Susan, we wish you continued success.