No matter where you are at, hearing from an expert is inspiring. May you learn from these trailblazers below.

Kenneth King from Threads Magazine

With my teaching and writing, I’ve been fortunate to meet a lot of nice people. I’m often asked for advice for people who are just embarking on the journey called exploring sewing and design. If I were to say one thing and only one thing, it’s this: perfectionism is a disease, and a form of fear!

When learning the craft of sewing (which I believe is absolutely necessary in order to know what’s possible when designing), you should expect to destroy several acres of fabric before you get good. This is an acquired skill which can only be perfected by means of repetition-practicing over and over, learning from mistakes, learning when you can save something, and when you need to cut your losses and start over.

If you are afraid to make a mistake, afraid to ruin some fabric, or afraid to waste some time, you won’t ever get really good at this craft. It’s the dues you pay for becoming proficient.

However, if you are willing to charge forward, cut into that fabric, try something different, and risk making a mistake, there will come one day when you realize that you’re sewing without that knot of worry in the pit of your stomach, and the process effortlessly glides along.

Tim Gunn in an interview with The New York Times.

…I really wrote it as if I was giving advice to the young people in my office, advice about how to navigate the world responsibly and respectfully. I see a terrible erosion of respectful behavior. I also wanted to send the message, which is at the core of the book, to take the high road. No matter how much strife and consternation you face, no matter how much you want to shout and scream, take the high road. If you want to write an angry e-mail, write it but don’t send it. It’s based on my experience that whenever I have acted out in some manner, I have always regretted it. When I’ve taken the high road, I’ve never regretted it.

Another aspect of it that is deeply personal is that I really open up about me. The catalyst was really based on my interactions with people — total strangers who open up to me and tell me the most intimate, personal things. I’m deeply touched by it. If anything, I thought, “I need to share also.”

I was faced with a lot of profound difficulties growing up. Owing to a lot of wonderful people around me and people who supported and loved me, I’m still here today. Life is not a solo act. It’s a huge collaboration, and we all need to assemble around us the people who care about us and support us in times of strife.

Here are a few shorter quotes.

“Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.” Auguste Rodin

“I am an artist. . . I am here to live out loud.” Emile Zola

“A beautiful thing never gives so much pain as does failing to hear and see it.” Michelangelo

“Mistakes are portals of discovery.” James Joyce

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” Maya Angelou

“Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them thoroughly. After that, it will be possible for you to sublimate them.” Salvador Dali

“Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot find it in anything.” Eugene Delacroix.

Dressforms2