With our focus on sustainability, we knew we needed to introduce you to current student Dane Jones. Enjoy!

Cañada Fashion Department (CFD): What degree/certificate are you working towards?
Dane Jones (DJ): I’m working towards completing the Technical – Apparel Industry Oriented degree prior to pursuing a graduate degree in Industrial Design.

CFD: What is your ultimate fashion-related goal?
DJ: My ultimate goal is to become an industrial designer specializing in sustainable textile products.

CFD: What was your background before Cañada?
DJ: I received a B.S. in chemistry from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in 2009. After graduating, I manufactured tissue transplants for use in clinical trials for about a year and a half and then worked as a research associate in a medicinal chemistry laboratory for almost two years.

CFD: How have the courses and experiences helped you work towards your fashion-related goals?
DJ: The fashion courses at Cañada have been absolutely essential to understanding the design, material selection, and manufacturing processes related to textile goods. In many cases, industrial designers are expected to make prototypes in addition to coming up with the “look” for a new product. Without the apparel construction classes at Cañada, I would be learning to source materials and sew prototypes for the first time during a graduate program in industrial design, which is less than ideal.

CFD: Can you talk about some of the projects you’ve done: your jacket? personalized tags (and some of your coding)?
DJ: To date I’ve made several t-shirts, a pair of drawstring pants, a fleece vest, a couple dopp kits, two button-up shirts, and most recently an unlined jacket. The jacket was by far the most difficult project I’ve worked on. I had to rely on many of the techniques I learned in the clothing construction courses to bring that garment to fruition. It was also the first project where I had to design my own pattern pieces to construct specific garment features like the removable arm pockets, velcro wrist closures, and the adjustable shock cord hem. The motivation behind the personalized garment label was two-fold. First, I saw it as an opportunity to apply a little of what I know about graphic design in garment construction. Second, the label helps me track the original pattern #, garment style, fiber content, and date of production for each garment/prototype I make without having to look up that information separately in my notebook(s).

CFD: What have you learned about sustainability and how is that directing your goals?
DJ: I learned that sustainability, as far as a fashion industry is concerned, is multifaceted issue. We often think about product sustainability purely from material standpoint (i.e. using raw materials from renewable sources). The reality is that this issue encompasses land usage, water usage, labor practices, pollution, transportation, packaging, manufacturing methods, and product care just to name a few. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the shear complexity of the situation. From my standpoint, I think it’s more practical to focus on making progress in key areas of sustainability instead of trying to find a fix-all solution. Prior to attending Cañada, I didn’t really know what the main sustainability issues were with regard to textile products, so in that respect I think it has helped direct my attention to areas where I can have to most impact. Given my background, this will most likely fall under material selection in product design – identifying local, or at least domestic, materials that are not only renewable, but can also be reclaimed and reused easily after a product is discarded.

CFD: Thanks, Dane, for sharing with us. We look forward to seeing your next steps!