We recently met up with Gennifer Rose and discovered what she was up to after finishing her degree program with the Cañada College Fashion Department.

Cañada Fashion Department (CFD): What degree/certificate did you get?

Gennifer Rose (GR): I received my Associates Degree in Fashion Merchandising from Cañada.  I previously received my Bachelors Degree in Business Marketing from Chico State.

CFD: What are your long term fashion goals?

GR: My long terms goals in the fashion industry are always evolving as the fashion industry changes with technological advancements.  Originally, when I graduated from fashion school my goal was to become a buyer.  In the past 3 years I have worked both as an assistant buyer for a small company and a large ecommerce corporation.  I realized through my work experience that I am drawn to the more editorial and creative side of ecommerce, particularly in areas such as site merchandising and fashion blogging.  At some point in the future I would like to be an editor of an online magazine or lifestyle blog focusing on fashion and fitness.

CFD: What are you currently doing?

GR: I am currently a merchant at the fashion website 11Main.com, a curated marketplace for brands and boutiques.  I manage the Sporting Goods, Fitness and Fan Shop departments.  My job description includes selecting sellers and products that meet the 11 Main standards and aesthetic, working with creative to build the category page and sourcing new sellers to come onboard with 11 Main.

CFD: How did Cañada help you in your current position and get closer to your goals?

GR: My time spent at Cañada helped me learn the ins and outs of the fashion industry.  Before I began classes at Cañada, I had a strong business background but I wasn’t sure on how to apply it to a career in fashion.  I was able to try my hand at different aspects of the industry and learn my strengths.  I took classes in pattern drafting, sewing, merchandising, apparel and fabric analysis and all of these skills acquired have contributed to my professional success.

CFD: Anything else you’d like to add?

GR: My tip for success for anyone who is considering entering the fashion industry is to get as much real world experience in internships or part-time work as you can.  It is a great compliment to the learning you do in a classroom. You will need to prove to your future employers that you can take what you learn at school and apply it practically in a work environment.  They want to hire employees that produce results and real world experience will show that you have what it takes to succeed.

Gennifer Rose

CFD: Thank you, Gennifer! We can’t wait to see what is next for you. If you’d like to keep up with Gennifer, check out her blog here.