If you were able to make it to student Michelle’s talk on repurposing last month you know what a treat it was. If you couldn’t come, we’ve got a bit of a recap for you as you continue working on your contest entries.
“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” Mark Twain
First, Michelle started of with some thought-provoking statistics.
- Most people wear fewer than 40% of what’s in their closets,
- Fashion is the 2nd largest global economic sector,
- As a global sector, $1.44 trillion is spent on fashion (2012),
- The average person throws away 70 pounds of textiles annually,
- and In California, for every 3 pounds of cotton produced, 1 pound of pesticide is used!
Then she shared ways that she finds to make a difference and encouraged us to try these as well. Consume less and find ways to repurpose the clothing in your closet you are not currently using by:
- taking in
- changing the buttons
Here are some images of Michelle’s talk.
Students enjoyed looking over the work that went into her patterns.