We were thrilled to hear from former student, Lindsay Fackrell, about her exciting fashion career that began at Cañada. She is now based in New York City. Enjoy our interview below.

Cañada College Fashion Department (CFD): How did you find Cañada?

Lindsey Fackrell (LF): I grew up in Redwood City so I was located close to Cañada College. Cañada College was also the only community college in the area that offered a fashion design program.

CFD: What did you do before Cañada, and what did you hope to achieve by going through the program?

LF: Prior to attending Cañada College I was working odd retail jobs and was unsure what I wanted to do as a career. The program at Cañada offered me the chance to try out fashion courses at a lower cost and gave me an opportunity to explore my interests to see if I wanted to turn my interest in fashion into a viable career.

CFD: What are you fashion related goals and how did your time at Cañada help you achieve them?

LF: I am currently working in the fashion industry in NYC, which was one of my major goals. Going forward, my goal is to move up within the industry and hopefully work my way up to working on [a] runway collection. Cañada College has very good studio courses that taught me very important foundation skills.  This gave me a strong advantage ahead of the other students when I transferred to a four year college to complete my bachelors degree. Having prior training in sewing, clothing construction and pattern work helped me greatly. Also, I was able to complete a large portion of my general education courses at Cañada prior to transferring which gave me more time to focus on studio work.

CFD: Tell us about your job experiences since completing the fashion programs.

LF: After leaving Cañada College I transferred to Otis College of Art and design in Los Angeles where I received my Bachelor of Fine arts degree. In Los Angeles I interned at Skingraft and Kill City. After graduation I moved to NYC and accepted an internship at John Varvatos. After completing my internship at John Varvatos, I was hired to design men’s woven shirts for Armani Exchange. I stayed with Armani Exchange for a year and a half then applied and was hired at Calvin Klein.

CFD: What are your tasks with the new position at Calvin Klein?

LF: I am currently a member of the men’s sportswear design team. The senior wovens designer and myself design all men’s  woven shirts, shorts, bottoms, sport coats and suits for the Calvin Klein White Label line. This line is then sold in all the department stores such as Macy’s, Lord and Taylor and anywhere that sells Calvin Klein. My other job responsibilities include sketching designs in Adobe Illustrator, entering trim and construction info into tech packs, creating detailed construction sketches to send to the factories, working with the fabric team to develop new fabrics, working with the other members of the design team to create color and concepts for each season and assisting the senior designer with any tasks that need to be completed throughout the day.

Thank you, Lindsay! We can’t wait to see what the future holds for you. You can see more of her work on her Tumblr site here.