Students in our Intermediate Clothing Construction class were able to hear from Sarah Veblen, a fashion industry star. She is based in the Baltimore area and works as a custom clothing designer, teaches, and writes.
Sarah’s work lead her to become an expert on fit. She shares her experience in her book, The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting.
Sarah’s conversational talk focused on construction and structure. She walked us through several garments in the process.
Some fun tidbits we learned:
- Ronda’s collars inspired Sarah to play with some collar designs.
- She enjoys working with fabrics that have blends of fibers as they can have a lot of character.
- She likes to repeat, or echo, details in more than one place on a garment. For example, beading the collar and the cuff.
- For her, the joy in custom work is the collaboration.
- If you really want to be a good seamstress aim to sew a garment a week.
Here are a few of the garments she shared.