We recently met up with current student Biviana Lazo and discussed her company, INLUSH.

InLush
Biviana in one of her designs.

Ever since I was young I had an interest in fashion and art. At the age of seven, I spent my days coloring books and sewing BarbieTM dresses which I would then sell to friends. Later in life, I moved to the States from my native country Peru, and I decided to major in Fashion Design. I went to FIDM in San Francisco to study fashion design and realized I didn’t enjoy the sewing aspect of fashion. I found sewing very technical and felt I was distancing myself from Art.

Trying to find a way to keep both passions, fashion and art, I learned about the art of silk painting. I fell in love with the bright colors of French dyes that are chemically bonded to the fiber and the soft luxurious hand of silk. I learned the techniques of silk painting and made my first silk hand painted collection. I called this new collection, INLUSH Wearable Art, which consisted of hand painted silk dresses that was featured in numerous fashion shows including The San Francisco Fashion Week 2012 and published in local fashion magazines.

After selling my hand painted designs at a boutique in Westfield Mall in San Francisco, I faced one challenge, which was the limitation of production of these unique hand painted pieces. I realized that I needed to find a way to mass produce my designs and expand my creative potential. I took a class in digital mixed media that taught me how to combine traditional and digital media to create my own printed fabric designs. I also joined Cañada College  that has a great fashion program where I found myself very inspired by the dedication and passion of the instructors. The fashion classes at Cañada has helped in many areas of my career from the appreciation of sewing, the construction of a well-made garment and the field trips to the manufacturing companies has shown me the business aspect as well. I am about to complete a certificate in Technical–Apparel Industry, and I am planning to take more fashion and digital media classes to enhanced my skills.

I sell most of my designs through my website, the use of social media and marketplaces such as Facebook, blogs, Inspirare, Storenvy, Poshmark, Threadflip, and others that connect buyers with sellers and provide a great digital and online shopping experience. I am currently working on my new Ready to Wear Collection that will feature my new printed artwork fabric.  Printed fabric will allow me to express my art and still have the ability to mass produce and keep a high level of quality and consistency.

Being at Cañada College has been a great experience. The fashion program prepares the student for the real fashion industry. I learned the way we approach little things, it’s the way we approach big things in life. I never want to stop learning and growing as a designer.

Thank you for sharing your story, Biviana. We wish you continued successes!