Venna Tran earned a BA in Psychology. After graduation, she worked in retail as she figured out what she wanted to do with her life. “I looked at other programs and even interviewed with one, but I had a bad feeling about it and chose Cañada College instead. Everyone [was] so nice and helpful here,” Venna explained. She earned an Associates Degree specializing in both the Custom Dressmaking/Small Business and the Technical: Apparel Industry Oriented tracks in Fall 2013.

During her time at Cañada, Venna was able to experience two internship opportunities. First she worked with Needle Happy SF. For that experience, she wanted to learn about the business-side of a start-up.  “I thought working with a start-up would give me perspective on what it is like to own my own business. I got to see the beginning stages of a business that is only a year old,” Venna explained. Her experience taught Venna that online social media is a great advertising tool if it is maintained regularly. For instance, Needle Happy would update to Twitter daily and then receive response from several businesses and individuals. They also worked to update multiple social media sites simultaneously.

Venna also interned with Kathleen van der Spek from the April through September 2013. Venna recollects,

I was nervous when I started my internship because she [Kathleen] needed someone to help with patternwork and sew samples. I had never sewn on an industrial machine before and was intimidated. Kathleen took the time to demonstrate how to use the single needle industrial machine, then she had me practice sewing with some scraps of fabric. After learning how to sew on it, I want to purchase one for myself! During my internship, I also learned to use an industrial coverstitch machine, finalize patterns for production, went on sales meetings, and made samples. It was an amazing opportunity because I was a big part of her Fall 2013 collection, from the beginning to the end. It was very rewarding for me to apply all of the skills that I had learned at school to my internship.

We are so thrilled with the work Venna did while she was a student and look forward to big things from her in the future!

One comment