Sustainable fashion is important to the Cañada Fashion Department. Our current contest (open to students enrolled in the 2013-2014 school year) is based on reusing denim.
Here are some Fast Facts about American’s fashion habits that we have compiled from the book, Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth L. Cline.
- Americans purchase 64 apparel items each year, on average.
- This amounts to 20 billion garments purchased each year!
- In 1990, 50% of the garments purchased in the US were American made.
- Now, 2% of the garments purchased in the US are American made.
- 41% of garments purchased in the US are now made in China.
These statistics show us that the cost in dollars of clothing is weighed more heavily than the impact on economies, the environment, and workers when making clothing purchases.
What do you think?